Thursday, July 22, 2010

Skunk Cabbages and Giant Cedars

July 18

Now the network card on our computer has died, so I am not able to update the blog very easily. It's now July 22 so I have a lot of catching up to do! I won't be able to load pictures, as most public computers won't let you upload data. So just text for now.

We stayed at the KOA another day, its a great campground. Enjoyed some Beef Teriyaki they served up at the office as well as ice cream.

Today we checked out some trails. First we did the Skunk Cabbage boardwark that meanders through wetlands - a very rare environment for this area. Heard lots of warblers but couldn't make them out in the bushes and trees. Claire was pointing out different plants that she had learned about yesterday on another walk. Double Club is a large thorny plant that tears through clothes and skin, we saw a lot of it today. Lots of Skunk Cabbage too.

Had lunch at the picnic grounds near the trail and finally found a spot for Fenten to swim. He was in heaven. Quite hot today, but I haven't seen a single mosquito since we left Saskatchewan - I guess the nights are too cold in the mountains.

After lunch we went to the see the Giant Cedars. I'll load the pics as soon as I can, but suffice it to say they were outstanding. Whole families can reach around the trunks of these 500 year old cedars and hemlocks. It is a temperate rainforest - the only one in the world so far inland. Very quiet and serene, the size of the trees strikes awe in you.


Went back to the campground for a swing and supper. Girls are really enjoying the pool. Nights are nice and cool for sleeping.

Tomorrow we go back to the garage to get the paperwork started on the warranty on our trailer - wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping for photos of your axel and it being bent - just kidding.

    Wow, those cedars are huge! I am saddened you did not take a photo of the skunk cabbage - I guess I will have to do that when I go visit eh!

    ReplyDelete