Saturday, July 3, 2010

Holland, MI to Wisconsin Dells, WI

June 29

odometer 88739 km, 590 kms, 9 ¼ h travel time

Had breakfast with our friends, then hit the road around 9:45. We had a good driving day - we enjoyed driving through Chicago along the Skyway and had a nice lunch stop outside the city where the girls got to play at a municipal park.

We took a lot of toll roads (I-90) through Illinois, I think we paid 25$ US for 5 sections. Saw a few new licence plates: New Jersey, Connecticut, Georgia, and of course Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

We discovered the sweet spot for towing is about 50 ft behind a big rig – DH loves to watch the RPMs drop a few hundred. The trick is finding a truck going the right speed – most are too fast for us. We managed to get behind a few today and followed them for a ways.

Once again we averted near disaster when our trailer tire blew out on the I-90. I'm not talking about getting a flat tire – I mean the tire literally fell apart and smoked and by the the time we got stopped we were towing on the rim. It took DH 30 minutes (I provided moral support) to change it with our full spare. My FIL (father in law) thinks it blew because it was a cheap, made-in-China, belt-style tire. We have two left, so we'll see how they last.

We choose the Wisconsin Dells area simply because it was a good stopping point, distance-wise, on the map. As it turns out, Wisconsin Dells is a mecca for families. It must be the water park capital of the world! Pulled into Mirror State Park around 6 pm. It was nearly empty and a nice quiet spot to camp.

1 comment:

  1. I did not realize that Wisconsin Dells was a water park capital? Will have to check that out the next time we contemplate a driving excerstion back to Sask.

    Glad you had no real troubles with the blow out, other than the standard what the heck and then white knuckling as you smell smoke and try to get over. I recall fondly watching one of our truck tires bounce into the ditch and pass us. Ah adventures for a six year old. It was cool to ride in the tow truck!

    I think there is a term for gliding behind a big rig - I hear it in racing (car and bicycle) every once in a while. I will have to check that out.

    Good going on the next leg!

    ReplyDelete